Day 3: Medford, OR to San Jose, CA | Total Time: 8 hours | Total Distance: 400 miles
Welcome to California….we only have 7 more hours until Grandma’s house.
Today’s 8 hour leg of our trip is our 2nd longest travel day on this trip. Keeping our kids occupied and engaged is no easy task but we’ve done our best and, so far, it works well. We’ve done the following to keep them entertained while in the car:
- Ethan’s Activity Binder: As we mentioned in our post yesterday, Laura put together a great binder full of coloring, dot to dot, puzzles and other activities
- AudiobooksA: We’ve brought along a number of children’s audiobooks. These include Winnie The Pooh, Clifford, Officer Buckel and Gloria, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and more. Ethan is a big fan of these.
- Books: We have a lot of books for the kids to enjoy. Generally, they read/look at the books on their own but we do read to them in the car on occasion. Honestly, it kind of makes of sick to turn around from the front seat and read.
- Music: Lots of favorites for us and the kids. We all get a choice in music. When one album is over the next person chooses. Autumn always chooses Caspar Babypants. Always.
- Toys: Both kids packed their own backpacks. Ethan brought a number of trucks, airplanes, action figures, and more. Autumn chose a couple baby dolls and accessories for the dolls.
- Frequent Stops: Autumn is already in potty training so we need to stop often. We’ve stuck to this schedule to ensure the kids get adequate stretching time and frequent potty breaks.